Saturday, September 20, 2008

Review: Flatotel (NYC)

Flatotel rm 910

Note: this also appears with my reviews over on Yelp.

Some rooms here might merit a 4-star rating, but room 910 gets 3.

I wanted to like this place more, but it fell short on a couple of fundamental things.

On the positive side:

- the room was huge

Flatotel room 910

Flatotel rm 910

- the bed was huge and comfortable

Flatotel rm 910

- you can open the window a little bit (I love fresh air, so this is great for me)

- the bathroom is big and modern

Flatotel rm 910

Flatotel rm 910
- they have a nice little flat screen tv in the lobby near the elevators, which does help distract you during what can be kind of a long wait for the car to arrive

Flatotel lobby elevator

- there is an mini fridge and microwave in the room (and the brilliant, well stocked Cafe Duke is a 1 minute walk away, so giddy-up)

Cafe Duke

On the negative side:

- there is no mini bar in the room (I prefer the fridge anyway, but it's worth mentioning since some people need the mini bar)

- the TV is dated and the reception is rough on a few channels

- the temperature control in the shower stinks out loud

- there is no wireless internet and room 910 did not have an ethernet jack, even though the front desk and the guy who trucked up a cable to my room tried telling me it did. There were a couple of dial up jacks, but really? 2008? $535 room? Dial up? No.

Add an internet connection and this is easily 4-star for me. A colleague I was traveling with had a better experience, getting an enormous room with a full kitchen and living room (and a working internet connection). So, check out your room carefully before unpacking and maybe request an upgrade or something.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=f4ca6b4158b814462b646ceaf8fabc61