Sunday, October 7, 2007

Review: W Tuscany, NYC

w tuscany desk and tv shot.jpg

Note: this review also is posted with my reviews over on Yelp

Overall Impression:
The W Tuscany was a nice, friendly place. This location has a much more manageable scale and far less ostentatious vibe than some of their other properties. However, it was incredibly pricey. Maybe it was just bad timing [week of September 24th, or Advertising Week, which wasn't actually the reason for my trip], but prices were about twice what you would usually expect to pay.

w tuscany room shot

Staying here felt like staying in a Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware: a big wood framed leaning mirror against one wall; a country style door with an 8-pane window separating the main room from the entryway / bathroom / mini-bar area; black and white photos of random landscapes and still lifes on a ledge built into the wall; bedding and furniture all done up in rich browns and reds. It really was like stepping into a catalog.

Highlights / Lowlights:

What was great
- The TV set up and channel selection. Nice flat screen that you've come to expect from the W [maybe a bit cramped on top of the work space], but the big bonus was BBC America and Current being among the available networks.

What wasn't so great
- The price. Seriously, I felt like I was paying rent when I checked out after just a 2-night stay.

Random note
- It's not a dead ringer or anything, but from your peripheral vision as you walk in at night, the bar area in the lobby reminds me of the Mexico City bar where Pierce Brosnan meets Greg Kinnear in Matador

Scorecard:

Would I stay here again? Yes, but only if prices returned to 'normal' NYC levels [i.e., anything less than $400/night]

Did it seem a good value? Um, no. Not this time.

Essentials
Service - pretty good, helpful; I actually walked into the neighboring W Court, which is two doors down and they did allow me to check in there. I just had to walk in and pick up my key at the Tuscany. Instead of making me feel like an ass, they kept things smooth for me.
Bed - very good, per W norms
Bathroom - good, but not the typical W luxury spa effect
Work space - good, maybe a bit cramped with the TV, but the internet connection remained solid at all times
Storage - very good, lots of space

Amenities
Room service - fine, but I didn't really challenge them, just getting coffee each morning
Concierge - n/a, I didn't use them
TV / Entertainment - very good; love the BBC America / Current options"

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=f4ca6b4158b814462b646ceaf8fabc61