Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Beware ParisAttitude.com

Anyone looking for a short-term apartment rental in Paris should beware of the 'customer service' provided by ParisAttitude.com. Below is the full email exchange I had with one of their representatives, so you can judge for yourself how useful they might be for you. But net for me was I took my business to another agency [Lodgis] where my questions and needs were handled much more professionally.

Email 1, received upon submitting an inquiry through the Paris Attitude website

From: Charles de La Ferrière

Dear art SINDLINGER
Thank you for your request and your interest in Paris Attitude. You have selected apartment reference numbers : 1288, 1681, 1448, 701. I am glad to inform you all of these apartments are available for your dates from 24-dec-2006 to 01-jan-2007.

Here is the information about apartment reference number : 1288
The total price for 8 nights is 891 Euros including the agency fee. There is also a refundable security deposit of 685 Euros that you get back at the end of your stay. You will find a detailed description with the pictures of the apartment, either in the attachment or on this link

Related to apartment ; 1681
The total price for 8 nights is 891 Euros including the agency fee. There is also a refundable security deposit of 685 Euros that you get back at the end of your stay. You will find a detailed description with the pictures of the apartment, either in the attachment or on this link

The information regarding apartment ; 1448
The total price for 8 nights is 891 Euros including the agency fee. There is also a refundable security deposit of 685 Euros that you get back at the end of your stay. You will find a detailed description with the pictures of the apartment, either in the attachment or on this link

And the apartment ; 701
The total price for 8 nights is 862 Euros including the agency fee. There is also a refundable security deposit of 663 Euros that you get back at the end of your stay. You will find a detailed description with the pictures of the apartment, either in the attachment or on this link

Please, let me know as soon as possible, if you want to reserve one of these apartments. I will then e-mail you the necessary documents to book it in your name.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,

Charles De la FERRIERE.
Paris Attitude
6 rue du Sentier
75002 Paris
Tel : +33 (0)1 42 96 80 45
Fax : +33 (0) 1 42 96 27 86

My same day reply:

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I am glad to hear that these are available. I will review the options with my wife and I intend to confirm one of them with you asap.
Best Regards,
Art

My same day follow up [to which I never received a response]:

Hello again -
I believe we are narrowing down our selection to either 1681 or 701. Can you please confirm if 701 has a TV? I do not see it on the description or in the photos, but would like to double check that before I make my final selection.
Thank you very much for your help.
Best,-
Art

My subsequent request to move ahead with a specific property:

Mr. de La Ferriere:
I have spoken with my wife and we would like to take the next steps toward reserving 1681. Please advise what else you need from us to place this reservation.
Thank you again,
-Art

Mr de La Ferriere's next day response:

Dear Mr Sindlinger,
I just had the owner on the phone and the apartement is available. However there is a majoration of 30% because of christmas period. Therefore the price including the agency fee for 8 days is 1183€. Are you still interested.?
Regards,
Charles de La Ferriere.

My response to the news of this 'majoration' [to which I never received a reply]:

Mr. de La Ferriere,

Thank you for the update. That is a pretty substantial increase. I think I would rather explore some other options. I will continue checking your site for alternatives, but please let me know if the owner of 1681 changes his or her mind regarding the majoration, because we would still be interested at the original rate that was quoted [891 Euros].

Best,-Art

My next day request for more information on other properties listed on their website [to which I did not receive a reply]:

Mr. de La Ferriere -

May I inquire about a few other apartment options? I have reviewed more of your listings and found some alternatives. Could you please advise if they are available and, if they are, what the rental price would be for our desired dates [arrive 24-Dec, depart 1-Jan].
The listing numbers are:
894
1586
1682
1514
1479
1683
We are still very interested in securing an apartment through your service and greatly appreciate your assistance in helping us find a place for our holiday. My wife and I were engaged in Paris and will be celebrating an anniversary with this trip.

Thank you again.
Best,
Art

Originally posted 11/26/06

25 comments:

Steve said...

I had the exact same experience with Paris Attitude. After the third email they had raised the price 300 Euros over the published price. I challenged that and they stopped communicating. The have a real "Attitude". Steve

Steve said...

I had the exact same experience with Paris Attitude. After the third email they had raised the price 300 Euros over the published price. I challenged that and they stopped communicating. The have a real "Attitude". Steve

Art Sindlinger said...

Steve -

Thanks for sharing. I thought I may just have had a bad experience with one particular representative, but perhaps it isn't uncommon at all for them to treat people poorly.

Unknown said...

I have just reserved an apartment through Parisattitude. My experience has been that it is the apartment owners who have been difficult to pin down. I would find one that was confirmed "available," then the owner would tell Parisattitude that he really wanted to find someone who could come earlier so they wouldn't lose any rent! I lost several apartments this way, and also with another rental agency--Paristay. Paristay staff were very snippy with me when they finally did respond 3 MONTHS after I emailed my selection. Ultimately, they stopped replying to my emails altogether. My contact at Parisattitude was Leonard Vigier. He was great, and you can tell him I said so! You can contact him at leonard@parisattitude.com. Good luck--Bon Voyage!

Eric said...

I have had an awful time with ParisAttitude. I rented an apartment in Paris in May 2007 and paid a 600 euro deposit that they said would be reimbursed 10 days after our departure. I have been emailing them for the past 6 MONTHS and have still not received the reimbursement. Their administration claimed they were having "a big delay in sending it back". This was in June 2007. Email after email, they said they would look into it and get back to me and they never do. Now they seem to be ignoring my emails altogether. I cannot express how angry I am with ParisAttitude. I consider this criminal and I highly recommend people search for apartments elsewhere. A really disappointed customer. Eric

Sneak-Attacky, Scotty-Macky said...

I just had a horrible experience with ParisAttitude myself. So far it's resulted in a loss of 1325 euros for which I am securing the services of a lawyer. STAY AWAY FROM THESE THEIVES - it's NOT worth it!!

Art Sindlinger said...

@Sneaky-Attacky, Scotty-Macky
Wow - I am sorry to hear that you also had a bad experience with Paris Attitude. Hopefully other folks considering them will find these comments and do as you suggest - look elsewhere.

Rentals in Paris said...

Art, My name is Glenn Cooper and I own my Paris Rental Agency (www.rentals-paris.com) which I have owned and run for the past 12 years. As an ex New Yorker living in Paris for the past 17 years, I created my business in light of comments like yours concerning the poor service that is often the case. I am very sorry to hear your stories, and the many many many people who have gone through the same thing with these central booking agencies, that offer NO customer support of any kind. I am constantly contacted by people who rent with this company and arriving in Paris are in shock by the terrible places they're given which often don't even correspond to the ad on their website. It should lead to a lot of court cases, but who knows. Word of mouth is already a great arm to fight against these terrible companies. Please try contacting me for your next trip and I'll do my best to offer you an incredible experience.
Glenn Cooper
www.rentals-paris.com

Art Sindlinger said...

Thanks for the note, Glenn. Good luck with your agency. And, to be clear, my bad experience was with ParisAttitude. Lodgis worked out perfectly well for me.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I've just posted a comment on tripadvisor about the attitude of Paris Attitude!!!
I am an owner of an apartment let through Paris Attitude and because they failed to check the reference of my future tenant, which was forged, I have now a tenant who does not pay the rent or bills and who has stopped communicating with me completely.
The agency says that this has nothing to do with them and is doing nothing about it. As French law prevents eviction during winter months I cannot make the tenant leave although he is not paying rent. I had to instruct solicitors, file a report with the police and disconnect all utilities to the apartment

Andrea, London

Philippe said...



Hello, this is Philippe from Paris. Sorry to hear about your sad
experiences.

My suggestion would to to avoid rental agencies in Paris and to deal
directly with the owners.

You will end up paying less (agencies in Paris take between 30 and 40%)
of the full rent and it's always nice to exchange emails with the real
people.



I have my apartment listed on 2 sites:



- www.vrbo.com : Paris
Map


- www.beau-paris.com : Paris
apartment rental



Hope that will help !



Philippe

Phid said...

I have been trying to rent through Paris Attitude and it's been a nightmare. As soon as I questioned the security deposit (no one has ever in all my travels required one of me) the communication ended. We've made other plans, and I must say I was happy to find your review since it was hard to know what to think. I'm pleased these nice people are doing so well they can afford to lose so much business.

Art Sindlinger said...

Philippe -
Thanks for the perspective. Agree there is opportunity for savings if you work directly w/ apt owners, but that can also be a pretty big leap of faith for someone trying to arrange things from halfway across the globe.

Periwinkle -
I've found security deposits to be pretty common when renting vacation apartments. And I've always had them returned without incident. Twice from Lodgis in Paris, twice from ApartmentsBA in Buenos Aires, once from ColonialEcuador in Quito and once from Parker Villas in Tuscany. Guess my point is that I believe a security deposit is standard practice, but the kind of customer service practiced by ParisAttitude is not.

Unknown said...

I strongly recommend a lovely and peaceful B&B next to Notre Dame and the Seine River... so charming and restful! please, visit Private Homes who publishes it http://www.private-homes.com/paris

Peter Mc Julian

Unknown said...

We had a horrific experience with Paris Attitude and the landlord of the apartment we stayed at. PA exposes the tenants to so much risk by letting them deal with a complete stranger and then not even stepping up /helping out in resolving any dispute. The landlord turned out to be a very dishonest man who kept a portion of our deposit to himself. The agency did nothing to help, being fully aware that we were being ripped off. I am so disappointed and will never use this agency ever again. They got $240 in agency fees and basically did NOTHING for us.

Anonymous said...

It may have been really awful for you to go on vacations and find this customer service practiced by ParisAttitude!
I can make a recommendation for this blog, as regards luxury apartment rental Buenos Aires . My family and I really enjoyed our vacations in BA!
I hope you find this information useful!
Cheers!

what I learnt today? said...

But my experience with another site www.welcome2france.com has been really good. Although price was at higher side but rooms were awesome and worth it. Best Part was their through personal help in visiting places and telling us where to eat and enjoy. Helped in getting around with cabs n all. Very professional attitude. may be suitable for you all to now for next time.

Joree said...

I agree with Philippe. I rented with beau-paris twice. I loved it that I could talk straightly to the owners, and the price is reasonable without agency fee. Highly recommended.

DenniseO said...

I recently had a dreadful experience with this reprehensible agency and one of its immoral landlords. I am looking for as many people as I can find that also suffered stress and financial loss at their hands as I would like to form a class action against them to get some compensation for everyone. If you are interested please reply to this post or contact me through my profile and I will get back to you

Unknown said...

I just went through the same frustrations experienced by everyone on this forum. I wrote Paris Attitude indicating my interest in one apartment for 2 months. An agent wrote back saying it is available and the email indicated 0 agency fees and 0 security deposit! Knowing that it is too good to be true, I went ahead and told her to send me the necessary documents to secure the apartment for the dates indicated. In the meantime, I booked and paid for my flights and updated her on my dates of arrival and departure showing good faith that I am interested and serious about renting the apartment. After a couple of days, she replied and apologized that there is a €1000 security deposit and a €500 agency fees, and the apartment is only available for one month instead of 2, and now that the length of rental is less than 40 days, she is passing me on to another agent who deals with short-termed rentals. I should have Googled for reviews on this Agency first! Don't waste your time with this Agency!

Fuzler said...

Hello, this is Serge and Helen from UK.
I, with my wife had an awful time with ParisAttitude.
My suggestion is to try a (GA) Glamourapartments as your Paris renting agency.
It suits us perfectly.

JaH MastEr said...

Thank you to all who have posted to this thread. I was in the process of looking for a place and had begun a correspondence with a woman at parisattitude called herself "Maria GONCALVES" and it was exactly the same as has been described over and over in every review of this 'company'. i had been very specific about my dates and that they could not be altered and she began with a bate and switch of the original property i was interested in and that an alternative property was available for my dates. then she spoke to the landlord the day before my arrival and the property would not be available on my arrival day but the day after. i am so grateful i google mapped the office for the company and in the side bar were 'reviews' which have saved our vacation! just the small dealing i had with this woman were very unpleasant and i can only imagine how it would be if she had my 'fully refundable security deposit' in her possession!!!

Ultraman said...

à éviter !!
à moins d'aimer les souris dans votre logement loué au prix parisien actuel…
agence exigeante sur le client (garantie, caution) une commission d'agence d'environ un mois pour trois mois de location.
lorsque nous les avons contacté pour les différents problèmes (souris, inondation, problèmes électriques) leur seule réponse était " nous sommes vraiment désolés"
pas autant que nous de tomber sur des "pros" aussi désinvoltes pour ne pas dire autre chose

Monica said...

I have had the exact same issues with Paris Attitude! The customer service is absolutely horrendous, they will do everything in their power to get you to pay more money. I would suggest an agency like NY Habitat.

Wedding Playa del Carmen said...

Becareful with them if you dont want to waste your time and patience not all the pictures look like what the apartment really are... live in Paris and my mother came to visit me for a week we saw a little studio but near from were I live,i didnt look that bad a little expebsive for the size but we rent it...when we arrived surprise.....it was really small and it didbt look like the pictures the place was dark and dirty and the floor was old like they never touched after the war..the bed was in a horible conditions (broken)so my mother had to sleep in the floor,we write the compagny to complaint and we never got an answer from them even to we appologise the only thing they wanted was their money I used to rent wth paristay wich is an agency more responsable they come the first day you arrive if you have a problem they solve it right the way but as their appartment were more expensive and smaller we changed to parisattitude...
And as they are less expensive in the rents and the apartments are bigger we wanted to rent again so we contact them but asked them to see the apartmebt before...as I asked to see tge apartment it has been 2 weeks almost 3 and I havebt got a call for he visit even.if I called back saying Im interested they only say they have to contact the owner so we did a test and my mother sended the request..of course with a different name that mine .the same day they answer her that he owner didnt wanted to rent it in those dates....and Im still wating for the answer of the agency for the visit(but as I spoke in french..they prefere foreing because it means more money!!! So dont talk to hem in french ,they wint answer you quickly!! And the only thing they do is to take thir comition and if you have a problem...you have to solve it yourself because they disapear

ss_blog_claim=f4ca6b4158b814462b646ceaf8fabc61