Saturday, November 10, 2007

Review: Brgr, Manhattan

Brgr exterior - 7th Ave. Manhattan

Note: This also appears with my reviews over on Yelp

Overall Impression:
I wish Brgr would open in my neighborhood. I found it accidentally while venturing out for a burrito during a business trip. It is right next to Chipotle on 7th Ave. and I'm glad I passed on the burrito. Chipotle I can get any time. Who knows when I'll have another crack at Brgr.

Brgr interior - 7th Ave. Manhattan

Their creative take on the burger is refreshing - making an everyday kind of item feel special. And the space has a cool feel. I have no real idea what a loft apartment in Oregon might look like, but I picture it being something like the interior of Brgr. Another way to describe it would be a blend between Urban Outfitters and a wine bar ... in Oregon (something about the exposed brick walls and wooden beam ceiling keeps the Oregon theme in my mind - or maybe Vermont).

Highlights / Lowlights:

What was great

Food - A creative variety of menu options. I had the veggie burger with brie and caramelized onions with sweet potato fries on the side. Really nice flavor combination. One thing to note is that the veggie burger isn't especially patty-like. It's somewhat loose - somewhere between patty and sloppy joe-esque form. You need to be a little careful to not have it all over yourself. But the taste was excellent. They have a range of beef, turkey and veggie burgers, so it's likely you will find something to suit your tastes.

Brgr-interior.jpg

Atmosphere - The exposed wooden beam lattice-type structure halfway up to very high ceilings produces a nice effect. Airy, yet snug. Combine that with the right lighting levels and a soundtrack that hit both the Clash and Cee-Lo during the few minutes I waited for my to go order and it is definitely a pleasant place to hang out for a burger.

Beer - I didn't partake on this visit, but there is Spaten and Sam Adams on tap. At a burger place. Nice.

Kegs at Brgr.jpg

Logistics - When you order you get a metal stand maybe a foot and a half tall with a numbered card on it. This lets them find you when your order is ready. No random shouting, no confusion. Brilliant simplicity.

What wasn't so great
- N/A - I had a good experience

Scorecard:

The Two Critical Questions

Would I eat here again?
Yes - regularly if I had the chance.

Was it good value?
I think so. ~$12 for a good sized, above average tasting burger and a generous side of sweet potato fries doesn't seem bad at all here.

Essentials

Food - Very good. Creative, tasty - I wish I could try more of their offerings.

Service - Helpful, efficient, pleasant.

Amenities

Decor - Very good. Clean, nice flow, comfortably lit.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=f4ca6b4158b814462b646ceaf8fabc61